Everything you didn’t know about insurance for your dog
You can stop the Google search right now because everything you’ve ever wanted to know about pet insurance is right here and ready for you!
Who said that insurance is only for humans, homes and cars? It looks like the insurance industry really is as comprehensive as they claim to be as they are including your four-legged friends. And let’s just say, it’s a total game-changer.
If you’re anything like me, your home feels strangely empty without a little furball running around. Your dog is more than just a random guest in your space. They are a part of the family which means that they deserve the same level of care that you give yourself.
This means that while you’re taking out insurance for everything else in your life, you’ve got to add your dog to the list too!
What is pet insurance?
Look, if you’ve already popped this question into Google then you’ve probably seen all of the long-winded definitions. Instead, I’m choosing to do away with all the insurance jargon and headache-inducing industry lingo because it’s incredibly confusing…and off-putting.
So, let’s keep it simple, okay?
Pet insurance is the safety net that is there to help protect you and your bank account from unexpected costs that relate to your dog. Basically, whenever your pet needs to head into the vet, your insurance will kick in. Opting for pet insurance means that you are instantly granted peace of mind when it comes to the health and safety of your pet.
Why is pet insurance important?
Well, the most obvious reason is veterinarians are incredibly expensive and for good reason, too. The pet health industry has undergone some major medical changes and the technology that they are introducing is astounding. So, given the fact that they are constantly upgrading their services to better help your pet, the prices naturally have to go up.
The second reason why you should get on board with pet insurance is based on the fact that accidents do happen. From your pet messing up their foot to eating something they shouldn’t have; some dogs seek out trouble.
Whether you are considering adding a little dog to the family or already have one, you need to be signing up for pet insurance pronto. Yes, it may be tempting to skip out on the monthly cost of pet insurance, but you will soon come to regret it in moments when your pet needs it most.
But if you aren’t too convinced yet, maybe looking at how pet insurance works will help!
How does dog insurance work?
Contrary to popular belief, and obnoxiously long-winded pet policy documents, pet insurance is a lot easier than you may think. The reason for this is because it pretty much works exactly like your own human insurance.
Basically, you will have the option of choosing between various pet insurance plans. Obviously, you will base your choice on your personal budget and how much coverage you want (I suggest that you go all in and choose COMPREHENSIVE).
Pet Insurance in five ridiculously easy steps
- Purchase a pet insurance policy.
- Get your pet treatment at the vet.
- Pay for your pet’s treatment.
- Submit a claim to your insurance provider.
- Get reimbursed for your pet’s treatment based on the terms of your insurance policy.
And in case you were wondering, there are even some insurers, well one insurer that I know of, who fronts you with cash before you visit the vet. This means that you don’t have to wait for your insurer to pay you back after submitting your claim. Have a look at what and WHO I am talking about in this blog.
Now for all the fun stuff!
This is most likely the part that you have been patiently waiting for, and just know that it will be worth the wait. Pet insurance has literally been designed to not only have your dog’s best interests at heart but yours too.
And here’s how they do it:
- Pet insurance grants you peace of mind knowing that no matter what happens to your dog, you have access to all the resources and funds you’ll need.
- Comprehensive cover will give you the confidence to seek out veterinarian treatments without hesitation because you don’t have the funds
- Opting for medical coverage means that you are able to rely on both wellness and routine cover
- Your dog will also get to experience top-notch pet care as well as advanced medical treatments
- Pet insurance means that your furry friend will be able to access the best preventative care option available
- Your dog is also able to live a longer and healthier life thanks to pet insurance
See what I mean? The benefits really do speak for themselves! And if we’re being honest, both you and your dog deserve this level of care and protection.
Important questions to ask
Now if I have done a good job here, you are probably looking at taking our pet insurance. If that’s the case congratulations are definitely in order because you are making one of the best decisions a pet owner can ever make.
That being said, I do want to arm you with important questions that you will need to have prepared for your future pet insurer:
- Are all dog breeds covered?
- Is preventative, wellness and routine covered?
- Do you cover chronic care support?
- Is there an annual maximum limit for general coverage?
- What is the waiting period?
- What exclusions are a part of their pet plans?
Alright, I think all that’s left for you to do is take out pet insurance and experience the greatest form of medical care for you and your fur baby.
Until next time,
The Pet Insurance Team