For those of us who are dog owners, we know how much our pets become such an important part of the family and therefore it’s only right that we provide adequate care for them. Caring for your dog means providing a clean, safe and loving environment for them at all times. Many dogs are abandoned and then become stray dogs. Others are not given the proper care and end up malnourished and sick. Considering that ‘dogs are man’s best friend,’ it only makes sense that we would look after our best friend properly and aim to give them the safest environment to grow up in and live in.
Here are a few tips on how you can care for your dog properly and lovingly:
- Clean space: Providing a clean and hygienic place for your dog is important as it can decrease the chances of them getting sick and possibly infected with ticks and fleas. Make sure your home is safe enough for your dogs by protecting them from things that you may not think of such as poisonous plants and foods.
- Water and food: Proving clean water for your dog and giving them a healthy diet will ensure that your dog grows up healthy and strong. You can ask your vet to advise on a diet that is especially suited to your dog in terms of breed, size and age.
- Taking your pet to the vet: Regular visits to the vet are necessary to ensure the good health of your dog. If you are worried about your dog’s health, it is better to be safe than sorry. Vets can assist with de-worming your dog, treating parasites, wounds and other issues that could arise. Looking after your dog’s dental health can help prevent tooth loss as well. Unhealthy gums can affect the rest of the body, so it’s important to ensure your dog’s dental health is up to scratch.
- Spend time with your dog: It’s always a good idea to train your dog so that they can follow simple and basic commands. This also counts toward spending time with your pet. Spending time with your pet, whether it be training or just bonding with your dog, will help you build a strong bond. Dogs are incredibly social creatures, and you will be the centre of their world. Any time they get to spend with you is the best time of their life! Don’t leave your dog at home alone for too long, and ensure you walk your dog every day and play with and interact with it.
- Groom your dog regularly: Bathing your dog is not only a good way to care for him, you are also spending time with him and petting him which he will love. By bathing him and brushing him you can also keep an eye out for any skin issues, hidden ticks or suspicious lumps.
- Dog ID: Providing an ID for your dog is very important as sometimes when dogs go missing it can be almost impossible to find them without a proper form of identification and contact details for someone to get hold of. The best form of ID for your dog is to get them ‘chipped’ with an RFID that can be scanned at a local vet. This will help someone get in contact with you to return your dog should they get lost or run away.
Make sure you can take your cat to the vet for routine care and treatment for illness or accidents. Sign up for pet insurance with Oneplan Pet today.